For assistance call: 072 521 3429

Available Monday-Friday 8am to 4pm

Kinship care refers to the caring of your child by a family member, your parents, grandparents or a close relative. This can be done through a formal foster care placement or through an informal arrangement between you and your family. This option will enable you to maintain a relationship with your child. You will have the emotional and financial support of your family and your child will remain within its biological family, meeting cultural needs of family and ancestors.

However, you and your child may experience ‘role confusion, as your child may be brought up as your sibling, rather than as your child. Kinship care can have a negative impact on older family members as they are expected to take care of young children, well into old age, which can lead to high levels of stress, anxiety and hypertension. Financial considerations also need to be taken into account and whether the family member is in a financial position to take on another dependent.

To help you make this decision, it is advisable that you get hold of a counsellor, social worker, child protection organisation or your local representative of the Department of Social Development who can assist you. To find an organisation close to you, please click here. Alternatively, please contact our call centre on 0800 864 658 for immediate assistance

Directory Search